Monday, March 28, 2011

Taco Seasoning

I've been toying with the idea of making my own taco seasoning for a long time, and tried it a few weeks back when I made Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup.  I wasn't thrilled with how that turned out, and also wasn't happy that it made such a small amount, so I turned to my handy dandy Google Reader and searched for Taco Seasoning.

I found this one from Annie's Eats, and it was perfect.  It made a good amount, which I've stored in a washed out spaghetti sauce jar.  Having this around the house makes taco night so much easier, cheaper, and more healthful without all that salt and other junk they put in the packet!

I made a few modifications, based on what was in my spice cabinet, but don't want to change the original recipe here.  I didn't have onion powder, and instead used dried minced onions, in roughly the same quantity.  I also had a jar of smoked paprika that I bought for some recipe and have never used again, so used it here, which was a nice touch--do that if you have it!

Homemade Taco Seasoning



Ingredients:
4 tbsp. chili powder
3 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. paprika
3 tbsp. ground cumin
1 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl, and mix well to blend.  Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
To prepare taco meat, use 2 heaping tablespoons in place of a package of taco seasoning (cook approximately 1 lb. of beef or chicken, add 1 cup of water with the seasoning, and simmer until the liquid is almost completely gone.)
Source: Use Real Butter, originally from Mex Recipes, all via Annie's Eats

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails