Thursday, March 17, 2011

Red Makes: Chinese Braised Beef and Noodles

Another guinea pig for the Takeout at Home Challenge!  I still seek people to make recipes and cook along!

One thing for which Asian food is known is being sodium laden (and maybe even monosodium glutamate, to which many folks are allergic).  If you're getting takeout, you know you're probably getting your salt intake for the next three days in one meal.  Making at home, however, allows you to reduce the salt substantially.  When my college buddy Rachel made this, she discovered the leftovers were way too salty.

Here's what she had to say about the meal:
The prep time on the recipe said 10 minutes.  The person who wrote this recipe must be a whiz with a knife.  It took me 15-20 mins just to chop the beef (thank you Kelsey Nixon's show on knives).  The measuring of the spices and chopping/measuring of everything else took little time which I love.    I think it took me 30 minutes total to make a wonderful meal that my husband loved and we have enough for another meal, since the original recipe is for 4-6 ppl and there are only 2 of us.

For me, the only thing missing is a veggie from this dish but you can easily steam some broccoli which would be a great addition...not sure there is enough room in the pot for anything else.


 

Thanks, Red, for helping me out in my little project!  Go check out her blog, Ginger and Licorice, named for her cats and dog!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails