Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce

Photobucket

My very good friend Lishie recently started a cooking blog.  Unlike mine, however, Lishie posts mostly recipes she's come up with on her own.  (I've decided that, despite how many times lately I've seen disparaging remarks about food blogs that simply post recipes from other sources, I'm not going to be offended because this thing is for me; it's my collection of stuff that has and hasn't worked for our family.  If anyone gets something good from it to, or if I make someone chuckle, all the better!)

I had a large amount of dill leftover from the shrimp salad I made the other day, so put dill into my google reader.  When Lishie's recipe came up, and I had all the ingredients on hand, I added it to the meal plan.

I tasted the sauce, and my first thought was, "M is not going to like this."

But, I put it on the table with a smile, and he liked it a lot.  I liked it a lot.  E (who got all but sauce because I didn't feel like cleaning up the mess tonight) liked it at lot.  Mr. A, however, wouldn't touch the chicken.  AGAIN.

The one tiny thing I would do different in the future is to mix the chicken and the souvlaki sauce together before stuffing the pita, but otherwise, it was perfect!  I especially love that you can very easily make this ahead, and just put it together after work.  It can easily be made for lunch or for dinner.

I served it on whole wheat pita for M and me, and added chopped tomato, and with a delicious roasted cauliflower recipe.  Delish, indeed!

Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce Source:  DeLish!


Chicken:
1 lb. boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup olive oil
1 TBsp fresh dill
1 tsp dried oregano


Tzatziki Sauce:
1/4 cup Greek Yogurt
1 TBsp fresh dill
1/4 cup diced cucumber (peeled & seeded)
1 TBsp lemon juice
1 TBsp olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic





Bread & Toppings:
pitas
Lettuce
tomato
cucumber

ChickenPreheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, dill & oregano. Arrange the boneless chicken on a foil lined baking sheet. Brush the olive oil & herb mixture onto the chicken. Bake for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Dice the chicken.  Tzatziki Sauce:
Mix all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Serve the  sauce topped on the chicken in the pita.

1 comment:

Lishie said...

Ah, I am so glad your family liked it! (& YUM- mixing the chicken with the sauce before like a chicken salad!)

Thank you for the shout out :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails