Friday, March 4, 2011

Tuna and Artichoke Panini

Photobucket

We all have Spring on our minds; the winter has been rough and looking at facebook today, everyone is talking about seeing buds and blooms already.  Many are starting to think about their figures, but my mind is turning to the Lenten season.

For me, eating meatless on Fridays isn't that hard when I'm working, but now that I'm home, I think it will require a little more planning on my part.  So, I'm starting to assemble some meals that will be quick and easy for me to make myself on meatless Fridays (yeah, vegetarians consider fish meat, but Catholics don't.  I suspect it has to do with that whole Jesus and his apostles being fisherman, but what do I know, please don't strike me down!)

This little number from Giada was passed from one friend to another in the cooking exchange in which I'm participating.  It looked so delicious, I added it to my mental list of things to make.  Giada uses kalamata olives, and Patrizia substituted with chickpeas.  Amazingly, I had neither, so just left it out.  I was thinking of throwing in some capers, but decided against it this time around.    Since I omitted the chunky stuff, I also saved myself the food processing step (which is great, because boy do I hate cleaning that thing).

Since Giada called this a panini, I took what I learned from My First Panini, and heated up some olive oil in a frying pan, put the sandwich in with it, then smooshed it with a pot, then flipped after a few minutes.  This was really great, because it gave a little crunch to the bread and also warmed it a little.  Nice.  I also tried it without tomato, having forgotten to add it, but then added it; it made a big difference and added a whole different layer of flavor.  Much better with the tomato.

So, thank you to Patrizia, Melissa, and Giada for a yummy, easy lunch that will certainly help in the Lenten season, but also beyond (how awesome to have for a summer dinner when it's too hot to turn on the stove or oven?). 

Tuna and Artichoke Panini
Courtesy of Giada de Laurentiis 

Ingredients


  • 3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 (6-ounce) cans tuna in olive oil, drained
  • 1 (12-ounce) jar marinated artichokes, drained and coarsely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (16-ounce) ciabatta bread, halved horizontally
  • 1 tomato, diced

Directions

Puree the olives, oil, garlic, and zest in a food processor until smooth and spreadable. Blend in the mayonnaise. Toss the tuna, artichokes, lemon juice, and pepper in a medium bowl, keeping the tuna in small chunks.
Hollow out the bottom and top halves of the bread. Spread the olive puree over both cut sides of the bread. Spoon the tuna and artichoke mixture onto the bottom half of the bread. Sprinkle the tomatoes over. Cover with the bread top. Cut the sandwich crosswise into 6 pieces and serve.

1 comment:

Lishie said...

this looks so tasty!

Related Posts with Thumbnails