Monday, March 21, 2011

Mexican Rice

We had friends coming for dinner, along with their two kids, and so the meal I had planned was not going to make enough.  So, I turned to my handy dandy blog and decided to make Chicken Enchiladas from Annie's Eats.  While I was there, I decided to make her version of Mexican Rice instead of the one I'd made previously, which is here.



This might just be the first time that Annie's way isn't the best way, for me at least.  First, the one I tried previously was MUCH easier, with fewer ingredients, steps, and time.  But more importantly, I had a very hard time getting the rice to cook properly Annie's way, and after waiting way longer than planned for it to cook, put it on the table still underdone.  So, Annie's version also lost in the taste category too, perhaps as the result of my own incompetence at cooking rice.

I freely and openly admit; it's probably my own incompetence at cooking rice.

Mexican Rice taken from Annie's Eats
Ingredients:
2 ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
1 medium white onion, peeled, trimmed and quartered
2 cups long grain white rice
1/3 cup canola oil
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
3 medium jalapenos, ribbed, seeded and minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro (optional)
1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and move a rack to the middle position.  Process tomatoes and onions in the food processor until smooth and thoroughly pureed, about 15 seconds, scraping down the bowl if necessary.  Transfer the mixture a liquid measuring cup; you should have 2 cups (if necessary, spoon off excess or add water so that the volume equals 2 cups).
Place the rice in a large fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear, about 1 1/2 minutes.  Shake rice vigorously in strainer to remove all excess water.
Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed oven-safe Dutch oven or straight-sided sauté pan with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat, 1 to 2 minutes.  Add the rice and fry, stirring frequently, until it is golden and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.  Reduce the heat to medium; add the garlic and minced jalapenos; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.  Stir in pureed tomatoes and onions, chicken broth, tomato paste and salt; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.  Cover the pan an transfer to the oven; bake until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes, stirring well after 15 minutes.
Stir in cilantro (if desired) and serve with lime wedges.
Source: adapted from Dinner and Dessert, originally from Cook’s Illustrated, September 2004

1 comment:

Lisa D. said...

I am the WORST at cooking rice -- I hate doing it because it never comes out right. I love Annie's Eats though :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails