Sunday, March 6, 2011

Bean Dip

Photobucket

I discovered, when someone brought a package of bean dip into the faculty room for one party or another, that I can eat an entire package of bean dip without blinking an eye.  I just love that stuff.  So, when I was charged with making dips for my incredible friend's baby shower, I decided bean dip would be a good choice, and that I would make it from scratch.

I've never made bean dip before, so I searched my Google Reader and discovered that Brown Eyed Baker (who wrote another recipe I made for the shower) had one that looked very easy, so away I went.

It was quite tasty!  I used what I had, though I had bought a can of refried beans, so mine looked a little different than Michelle's. I used shredded Monterey Jack cheese, chopped avocado, sour cream, medium salsa, chopped jalapeno, and black olives.  Yum!  So easy, I don't really know why I'd buy a package again.

Here's the original recipe from Brown Eyed Baker, but this is such an easy recipe to customize to your tastes and what's on hand.  Like and have ground beef?  Yum!  Want to add some onions?  Awesome!

Seven Layer Dip from Brown Eyed Baker
Yield: About 8 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
15-oz can refried beans
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
Salt, to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (or a combo of the two)
1 jalapeño pepper, seeds and membrane removed, finely chopped
1 avocado, finely chopped (or 1 cup of your favorite guacamole)
1 tomato, seeds and juices removed, finely chopped
1 cup sour cream
1 small can black olives, sliced
1. Heat the refried beans in a medium saute pan or in a cast iron skillet. Stir in the ¼ cup water to get a creamy consistency. Stir in the olive oil, and then add the chili powder, cumin and salt, stirring until combined.
2. Once the beans are hot and bubbly, spread them over the bottom of a serving dish. Immediately sprinkle the cheese over the beans.
3. Layer on the chopped jalapeño, avocado, tomato, sour cream and black olives.
4. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.
(Recipe adapted from Simply Recipes)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails