Friday, February 25, 2011

"Best Ever" Shrimp Salad

Photobucket

I've been participating in an online recipe swap; each participant submits a recipe and in exchange, gets another to make and share her thoughts on.  I got this recipe, and with Lent coming soon, I was very happy to have a fish dish to add to the repertoire.  I was particularly happy to exchange recipes for lunch; typically, lunch around here is a sandwich, almost always turkey or ham with American cheese or maybe I'll shake things up with some leftovers.

I had some problems with this one.  See, I typically only use yellow mustard on my sandwiches.  So, I don't keep up with the status of the Dijon mustard.  As such, I didn't have enough for the recipe.  I then turned to spicy brown, thinking this would be a good substitute.  Alas, I also don't keep up on the status of our spicy brown.  So, now I have about 4.5T of Dijon, about .5T of spicy brown, and then turned to the yellow.  Perhaps as a result of all this, the recipe was much too mustardy.

I also used apple cider vinegar instead of white distilled plus sugar.

Other than the slight over mustard-i-zation, this was a pretty good (though very messy) lunch.  From the moment I first saw the recipe, I thought it would be awesome with some chopped pineapple; I will definitely make that addition the next time I make this.

Ingredients

  • Dressing:
  • 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar  (I used apple cider vinegar)
  • 3 tablespoons sugar (I omitted)
  • 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 3 kirby cucumbers, peeled and diced (I used half a regular cucumber)
  • 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, and diced
  • 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, cut into small bites
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • Salt

Directions

  1. Mix vinegar and sugar until sugar dissolves.
  2. Add mustard and mayonnaise to the vinegar and whisk until smooth.
  3. Combine cucumbers, mango, shrimp, and dill in large bowl. Pour dressing over and toss to coat.
  4. Season with salt.
  5. Chill in fridge for about an hour before serving.

2 comments:

Mommy's Findings said...

This is my favorite shrimp salad. Hopefully the additional of the dijon mustard will help with the recipe next time. I think that would make a difference

Anonymous said...

If you don't have fresh mango or pineapple, would recommend substituting mango or pineapple chutney, and cut back on the sugar accordingly.

Pam from Chicago

Related Posts with Thumbnails