Thursday, June 30, 2011

Veggie Bean Burger

This morning, my friend Lauren shared this recipe on her blog, and I was intrigued.  I love the health element of beans, and love the idea of eating something that's easier on my health, the environment, and my wallet.  My husband, however, refuses to eat beans.  When we go out for Mexican, he will say, "No beans, anywhere on the plate," so it was awesome that she shared it on a night he was not expected to be home for dinner.

This was so stinking easy, and it had so much delicious flavor.  I do have to admit, I wasn't nuts about the texture of the food, but it was yummy.

The boys, however wouldn't touch it.  E wouldn't even touch the cheese I put on top. We got A to give it a good try, but it was still a no go.

I encourage you to give this a try, especially if you're just looking for something to feed adults, though I do suggest giving it a try with your kids.

I froze the leftovers, and hope they'll be good for me for lunches over the next few weeks!

The recipe calls for "white kidney beans," and I've never seen those before, so I used Great White Northern Beans.


Summer Cookout Veggie Burgers
from Leslie Sarna, via Lauren's Kitchen
  • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can of white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup rolled oats (non-instant Oatmeal)
  • 3/4 cup bread crumbs (I like to use Panko also called Japanese bread crumbs if you can find them)
  • 1 tsp. (or more) chili powder
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • about 3 tbsp. chopped chives
  • 1 egg
  • olive oil
  • 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1/2 onion, finely diced
  • 4 oz. mushrooms, finely diced
  • 6 sun dried tomatoes, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
In a medium frying pan, heat some olive oil. Add the chopped onion, garlic, bell peppers and a pinch of Salt. Let cook 2 minutes on a lower heat. Add mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes; let cook another couple minutes. Let cool when cooked. While the veggies are cooling, in a large bowl combine the Beans, Oats, Bread Crumbs and all the spices and chives. Toss a little and add the egg. Using your hands to mix the mixture until it's slightly sticky and about 3/4 of the beans are smashed. Add in the veggies. Continue to work with your hands. If the mix feels a little dry, add water by the teaspoon until right. If it's too wet, add bread crumbs : ) Form 8 burger patties. Refrigerate for about an hour. (you can also place these pouches in a ziploc bag and freeze for up to a couple of weeks) To cook, unwrap the burgers from the plastic and cook in a heated skillet with cooking spray or olive oil in the bottom. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side.
PS these should always be cooked on a skillet or frying pan. Unfortunately, they can fall apart if cooked on the bbq.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails