Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Charred Cauliflower and Grape Tomatoes

I often forget to make sides.  Of course, most meals I cook don't involve much in the way of veggies, so getting some on the plate typically consists of throwing some frozen veggie into a bowl and nuking it to hot.  It's veggie but it's not the world's most flavorful thing on a plate.

So I stumbled across this recipe while doing some meal planning, and thought it looked yummy and easy to put together, so I added it to the meal plan (despite having done this, I still almost forgot to make it).  Tonight's dinner was A's request of mac and cheese, and I didn't add any veggies to it, so I thought it would be a great idea. 

This was really tasty.  It wasn't a great pairing with said mac and cheese, but it was delicious on its own.  And so very easy; I was able to do the whole thing while the mac and cheese baked in the oven.






Sorry for the awful picture; I forgot to adjust the white balance.  I'm also just realizing it's totally blurry.  Great job.

Charred Cauliflower and Grape Tomatoes Source:  Wegmans

2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 head cauliflower, broken into small florets, wipe dry (about 5 cups)
12-16 super sweet grape tomatoes, wipe dry
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp curry powder

Directions:


  1. Add 1 Tbsp oil to large skillet on HIGH, until oil faintly smokes. Add cauliflower; reduce heat to MEDIUM-HIGH. Cook 4-6 min, stirring occasionally, until darkened on the edges. Remove from pan; wipe pan of excess oil.
     
  2. Add remaining Tbsp oil to skillet on HIGH, until oil faintly smokes. Add tomatoes; reduce heat to MEDIUM-HIGH. Cook 1-3 min, until they're blackened on one side.
     
  3. Return cauliflower to pan with tomatoes; reduce heat to MEDIUM. Season to taste with salt; add curry powder. Saute 1-3 min, until cauliflower is heated through. (Tomatoes should remain whole, not collapse.)


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails