Saturday, June 11, 2011

Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken

I've made a roast chicken or two in my day.  I've used recipes from Perdue's website, from ATK, and from various places online.  But making it in the crockpot has got to be the easiest and perhaps most delicious of the ways I've made roast chicken.

I loved how this came out; so tasty and juicy.  The juices left behind were incredibly good over the chicken and mashed potatoes I made to go along with the chicken.  It also was delicious on the steamed green beans I made!

So, if you have any doubts or are intimidated by the idea of roasting a chicken, definitely give it a try in your crockpot.  I used a Perdue Oven Stuffer, which I STUFFED into my 3.5 qt Crockpot.

Photobucket 

Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken courtesy of Kim O'Dea
--one thawed and skinned whole chicken. It wasn't as gross for me this time! yay! But I'm not pregnant, so if you are and are prone to pukeage, be forewarned...
--head of garlic

--2 lemons (yeah, those are lemons. I tried to find yellow ones, and even went outside at 3:30am (I had insomnia) with a flashlight to find riper ones, and nearly scared the neighbors cat bald, but could only find green guys. They still tasted okay.)
--salt and pepper
--a bunch of fresh rosemary (this is from my mom's garden. hi, mom! thanks for the rosemary!)



The Directions.

After you skin the chicken, rub it inside and out with a bunch of salt and pepper.   (I did not know what I was doing as I skinned.  It might be easier to leave the skin on, but then you'd lose the flavor of the seasonings.  Just do the best you can!)

Plop it into the crockpot.

Peel your garlic and shove a bunch of the whole cloves into the bird cavity and throw some more on top and around the chicken.

Slice the lemon and put slices on top, around, and inside the bird

Wash the rosemary and do the same. If you are using dried rosemary, use a good amount---probably 2-3T of dried herbs.
cook on low for 8-10 hours.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails