Friday, February 11, 2011

Skillet Meatballs and Noodles in Creamy Herb Sauce

Photobucket

Do you have a go to source when making your meal plan?  For me, it's usually the folks at America's Test Kitchen.  I purchased the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook a few years ago on a whim when Borders was closing and things were priced well, and it quickly became a bible for me.  It gave me confidence in the kitchen, such that I started baking and then even participated in the Tuesdays with Dorie baking challenge.

For my birthday, my husband gave me a subscription to Cook's Country magazine.  I've had some big hits with this subscription.  When I saw this recipe in the October/November issue (yeah, it sometimes takes me awhile to look at everything), I put it right on the meal plan.

The first thing my husband said was, "They lied!" because it took me close to an hour to put it together.  I actually laid out all my ingredients, measured them, and re-read the recipe (like you're supposed to) before I started cooking, which took I guess 10 minutes.

The verdict on this one was that we really liked the noodles and the sauce, but weren't really over the moon about the meatballs.  I thought they were kind of dry and had a strange flavor.  When I was browsing through some blogs today, I noticed that Taste of Home Cooking had a similar problem when she made the recipe.  Very weird; ATK recipes very rarely fail!

Recipe (thanks to Taste of Home cooking for the C&P!)
Skillet Meatballs and Noodles in Creamy Herb Sauce
Cook's Country magazine, October/November 2010

1 pound ground beef (85% or so)
1 package garlic and herb Boursin cheese
Salt and pepper
Vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped fine
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
8 ounces egg noodles
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives

Combine beef, 5 tablespoons Boursin cheese, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl and knead gently until combined. Form mixture into 1 inch meatballs. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook meatballs until well browned all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer meatballs to plate and pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.

Cook onion in reserved fat until browned, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Add broth, noodles, and wine and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to med-low, and cook, stirring often, until pasta begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add meatballs and simmer, covered, until meatballs are cooked through and noodles are al dente, about 4 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in remaining Boursin cheese and chives. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails