Thursday, February 10, 2011

Ben and Jerry's Light Chocolate with Marshmallow Swirl

Photobucket 

I have been on a quest for cute ice cream bowls, with all the ice cream I've been making around here.  You'd think that, with Valentine's Day right around the corner, this would be an easy task.  It hasn't been!  I found cute heart bowls at Michael's, but they seemed huge... as if I don't already overdo it on ice cream.

So I have these little containers around.  They're the Target brand of baby food, but since they have a lid, I saved them for Cheerios and stuff.  It also happens to be the perfect size for a small serving of ice cream.  I'm so klassy with a k.

I have three ice cream recipe books out from the library right now, and so I combined a few recipes to come up with Chocolate Marshmallow Swirl.  The base is by Ben and Jerry's, and I swirled in the marshmallow fluff right before freezing.  The instructions on the other recipe said to not overswirl the fluff or it would melt, so I did a good job of underswirling.

This was pretty tasty, but I have to say I'm not in love with it.  I'll keep looking for an awesome chocolate ice cream recipe, which makes me sad--it's Ben and Jerry's, how can I possibly not be in love with it?

Light Chocolate Ice Cream with Marshmallow Swirl
very slightly adapted from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book by Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield

1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1/4c unsweetened cocoa powder
1-1/2c milk
2 large eggs
3/4c sugar
1c heavy or whipping cream
1t vanilla extract
1/2c marshmallow fluff

1.  Melt the unsweetened chocolate in the top of a double boiler on hot, not boiling, water.  Gradually whisk in the cocoa and heat, stirring constantly, until smooth.  (The chocolate may clump together.  Don't worry, the milk will dissolve it.)  Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, and heat until completely blended.  Remove from the heat and let cool.
2.  Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1-2 minutes.  Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completey blended, about 1 minute more.  Pour in the cream and vanilla and whisk to blend.
3.  Pour the chocolate mixture into the cream mixture and blend.  Cover and refrigerate until cold, about 1-3 hours.
4.  Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
5.  Add the marshmallow fluff and mix gently until incorporated.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails