Monday, February 14, 2011

Ben and Jerry's Banana Ice Cream

Photobucket

Bananas don't last long around here.  They never have, but now that we have two little boys who would eat a banana daily if they could, it's gotten a bit ridiculous.  Most recently, we purchased 3 bunches of bananas, which amounted to about 8lbs, with the intention of letting some of them turn brown for ice cream.

I had to put them in the fridge for that to happen.  Yes, I hide food from my child.

I made this tonight, and M's first response was "This is good; it tastes like liquid banana."  It was quite yummy, but I've found I like the ice cream even better after it sits in the freezer overnight.  After freezing, the taste was even better; M didn't like that there were some chunks of frozen banana inside, but I prefer surprise chunks in my ice cream.  It was very tasty, and I will certainly be making this one again.

This made a LOT more than the previous ice creams I've made, covering the dasher completely.  It filled about 1.5 of my 6c containers.

I used B&J's Sweet Cream Base #1 this time around.  Recipe from Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book by Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield

Sweet Cream Base 1
2 large eggs
3.4c sugar
2c heavy cream
1c milk

Whisk the eggs in mixing bowl until light and fluffy.  Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue to whisk until completely blended.  Pour in the milk and cream and whisk to blend.


Banana Ice Cream

Sweet Cream Base
Juice of 1 lemon
2 overripe bananas

1.  Prepare the base.  Transfer to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
2.  Meanwhile, mash the banana and lemon juice together in a medium bowl, then whisk until smooth.
3.  After the ice cream stiffens, add the banana mixture, then continue mixing and freeze until ready.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails