Thursday, February 17, 2011

Creamy Artichoke, Lemon, and Chicken Pasta

Photobucket

When this showed up in my Google Reader, I thought I wanted to add it to the meal plan as soon as possible, and why not?  Confections of a Foodie Bride's photography of it looks awesome, it seemed quick and easy, and had a combination of flavors we love in this house.

I got around to making it last night, a night that M was away all night.  I don't like to cook when M isn't home; it's always been that way, even when it was just the two of us.  But, with my not working, and any meal out now means feeding all of us, takeout is becoming less of an option.  Plus, I don't really feel comfortable giving the baby much from a takeout menu, except in really serious circumstances.  Last night, cooking worked exceptionally well--A played with his Leapster in the family room while E crawled around the floor, played with his fridge magnets, and ultimately, went into his high chair and snacked.


I was so proud of myself for getting dinner on the table!  Then, we tasted it.  I have a problem of my brain getting in the way of my palate.  I knew in my head the chicken was on the verge, but it smelled ok, so I used it.  I took a bite, and just didn't like it.  I also felt that the sauce was exceptionally thin; I tried to simmer it down, but it just wasn't enough.  Finally, due to my using what I had--turkey bacon in this case--there just wasn't enough bacon fat for the chicken.  I added olive oil when the chicken was cooking.

So, this goes into the files of "Try again."  I'm sure this is a good one, and I do want to try it again, but this time around, I messed up what seems to be a very good recipe!

Creamy Artichoke Lemon & Chicken Pasta
From Confections of  Food Bride
12 oz spaghetti
3 slices bacon
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved and pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Salt
Pepper
1 can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
2 tsp capers, drained
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 Tbsp butter, chilled
Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat, cook through. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. In a bowl, stir together flour, salt, and pepper. Lightly coat chicken with flour mixture. Without crowding, carefully place chicken in the bacon grease. Fry until cooked through and golden brown on both sides. Remove the chicken to paper towels. Stir the mushrooms, artichokes, and capers into the pan. Deglaze the pan with the wine. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth and lemon juice, cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in the cream and the butter to the sauce, stirring until completely incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
Cut the chicken breasts into strips, and return them to the pan. Stir the pasta and bacon into the chicken mixture. Serve.
Serves 4
Slightly adapted from So Tasty So Yummy

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails