Sunday, January 16, 2011

Waffles

Photobucket

I've long coveted a waffle iron.  I've hemmed and hawed because how often would I really make them?  How much room would it take up in the cabinets?  Is it really worth it?

My grandmother gave me her waffle iron!  So all my my hemming and hawing was for naught.  It is a Mad Men era waffle iron.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

It took me three times to get this to work, finally following this recipe's instructions to wait till the steam stops (I had previously tried ATK's recipe, which required beating egg whites) but also turning the temperature down to about 2 or 3.  What a mess all that was to clean up, at least until I figured out the plates were removable.

Another tip that makes that all easier... spray your pan.  This is something that people must know but is never listed in the recipe.  I also think it contributed to the wonderful crisp on the waffles.

So, these were really tasty.  They had a nice crispness to the outside, which I don't think I've ever experienced in a waffle, but was perfectly soft on the inside.

This was in my Betty Crocker's Cookbook, Bridal Edition, but I also found it online here.

BETTY CROCKER WAFFLES
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour (or whole wheat)
  • 1/2 cup of melted margarine or butter, or 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1-3/4 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp sugar (or brown sugar, which I used)
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt (1/4t in my recipe)
Beat eggs. Add in the rest of the ingredients and combine until smooth. Pour batter into heated waffle iron. Bake according to manufacturer directions or until steam stops, about 5 minutes.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think that is the waffle iron my grandmother had too. I use the same recipe for waffles as you. I also like their pancake recipe too. That's a great cookbook.

Emily M. said...

Most modern waffle makers are teflon-coated, so you don't need to use butter or a spray - which is why most recipes wouldn't mention it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails