Sunday, January 2, 2011

Cranberry Meatballs

Photobucket

I typically serve meatballs for gatherings.  My crockpot recipe is very good, very easy, and allows me to pay attention to other things.  But for New Year's this year, I wanted to try something different.  I turned to my google reader, and stumbled across this recipe.  Hubby happened to glance over while I was looking at her post, and commented that they looked delicious, so I made them.

These were super easy to make.  I used frozen turkey meatballs.  The sauce smelled really great as it was simmering on the stove, but toward the end, I got some on my finger, and so tasted it....  I was suddenly very afraid.

We've had this bottle of "Three Buck Chuck" around the house for a really long time, and that's what I used.  Maybe if I'd used a better tasting bottle of wine (I really don't get all the hype around TBC... it's been pretty nasty the two times I've had it), this would have turned out better.

So, the short of it is that this is a good recipe, but make sure you like the wine you're using!

Cranberry-Red Wine Meatballs
2 cups whole berry cranberry sauce
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup of your favorite red wine (I used our Cab)
2 tsp hot Chinese mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire
1 batch of meatballs, cooked
Add cranberry sauce, brown sugar, red wine, mustard, and Worcestershire to a sauce pan. Heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the meatballs to the pan, stirring to coat and heat thoroughly. Serve warm. Alternately, you can pour the sauce over the meatballs in a crockpot set to warm for serving.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails