Saturday, January 22, 2011

Oreo Cheesecake Ice Cream

Photobucket

Since making cinnamon ice cream last week, my husband has been very impressed with my ice cream making skillz.  He got The Boy very excited to help make ice cream again today.  Luckily, The Ultimate Ice Cream Book by Bruce Weinstein came in for me, so we picked up the book then hit the grocery store.  Flipping through the book on the way to the store, there were so many great recipes that we wanted to try...  cherry, peanut butter, etc etc, but when hubby heard a cheesecake ice cream recipe, all the rest faded.

We got the ingredients to make a cherry cheesecake ice cream and an Oreo cheesecake ice cream, but The Boy chose the Oreo one.  So, that's the way we went.

This ice cream starts with a custard base, but unlike the recipe I made previously, this has cream cheese in the custard.  I'm glad that the experience of the cinnamon ice cream has taught me that the flavor of the ice cream changes dramatically when it goes from soft serve esque to hard serve; it is less sweet and much less rich.

Before going in the freezer, hubby remarked that this was really m-fing good.  Yup.  MF.  I tried it again after freezing for almost 2 hours; still fairly soft and really sweet and rich.

I couldn't figure out where in the recipe the cream was added.  Yeah, I read it twice and couldn't find to add the cream, so I figured the recipe meant with milk, so that's when I added it.


Recipe found online at Recipe Chic (Wow, check out her Rocky road recipe; a definite must try!)  Definitely look at Bruce Weinstein's ice cream books.  His recipes are so interesting, though I know I can never get my husband to try red pepper ice cream!

You WANT to make this ice cream.  It's dreeeeamy.

CHEESECAKE ICE CREAM
Makes 2 quarts
1 cup sugar
 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
 1 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  3/4c milk
1-1/2c heavy cream
  2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon or orange zest 

3 graham crackers, crushed
Beat the sugar and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Set aside. In a saucepan, bring milk to a simmer. Slowly beat the hot milk into the cream cheese mixture. Place back over medium heat and stir until it thickens slightly. Refrigerate until cold. Add in the  cream and the zest if desired. Freeze as directed.
Variations:
Oreo Cheesecake Ice Cream:
Omit lemon zest. Stir in crumbled Oreo’s after ice cream is frozen.

Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake: Mix ½ cup raspberry jam with 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. After ice cream is frozen, layer the ice cream and the sauce.
Recipe from Weinstein, Bruce. The Ultimate Ice Cream Book. William Morrow, New York. 1999.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails