Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Margherita Pie

Photobucket
See it
here.

I first saw this recipe on Lauren's blog, and knew I'd be making it soon. C'mon, it includes my favorite flavors of tomato, mozzarella, and basil, so how could I not? It was very similar to a tomato pie I had made last summer, and this didn't fail to impress. When my somewhat hard to please husband says, "This is a keeper!", I know it's a great recipe. When my almost 3 year old devours an adult sized serving, I know it's a great recipe. Clearly, this is a great recipe.

I did cheat, using a store bought crust. I hope you can forgive me. ;)

Margherita Pie
Adapted from: Pies, Pies & More Pies by Viola Goren

Pastry dough:
2 c all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/4 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
1 large egg or 2 large egg yolks
3 tbsp cold heavy whipping cream, milk or water

Filling:
8-10 slices mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1/4 lb whole cherry tomatoes
1/2 c heavy whipping cream
3 tbsp sour cream
2 large eggs
1-1/2 tsp minced garlic
10-12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste


Prepare pastry in an electric mixer or food processor. Mix flour, salt and butter just until texture resembles bread crumbs. Add egg and cream, and mix just until dough forms. Shape into a thick disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out chilled dough to about 1/4″ thick and cut into a 12″ round. Wrap dough loosely around rolling pin and transfer to 10″ pie plate. Trim edges and freeze for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line chilled pie shell with parchment paper or aluminum foil and fill with raw beans or pie weights. Bake until crust is dry and lightly golden, about 15 minutes. Remove paper and beans and bake until crust is golden and baked through, 10-15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

Increase heat to 375 degrees F and assemble pie. Arrange mozzarella in baked pie shell and top with cherry tomatoes. In a medium bowl, mix together cream, sour cream, eggs, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Pour cream mixture into shell and bake until filling sets, about 40 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and let cool. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails