Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chicken with Sweet Tomato-Pine Nut Sauce

Photobucket

Continuing to cook my way through Robin Rescues Dinner, I made this chicken meal. Yet again, Robin suggests making extra chicken breasts, which will be used in another recipe. I found the recipe online here. I have yet to make the recipe from the leftovers, Corn Tortilla Soup with Chicken and Lime, but the original meal was pretty tasty. I was a little surprised to like it because I'm not a huge sun dried tomatoes fan, and M is not a huge pine nut fan, but we did both enjoy this. I served with roasted potatoes (McCain's frozen--they're delicious and some frozen veggies I had (I think it was a red pepper, corn, broccoli mix).

The chicken I had was kinda icky, which made our enjoyment a little less, but that's no fault of the recipe--I was tough; hard to cut, hard to chew. We got Little Man to try it, but after chewing his piece for something like 10 minutes, we let him spit it out. Poor kid really did try (anything for his after dinner tv time...sigh), and said he liked it, but who really knows.

So, this is a keeper in our house, provided I can find better chicken breasts.

Serves 4 (with leftovers)
Cooking spray
8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 ounces each) (please have these already in a baking dish)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
1/4 cup pine nuts
8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup oil-packed sundried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, chopped (please chop for demo)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (I will chop during demo)
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper and place in prepared baking dish. Season the top of chicken with garlic and herb seasoning. Set aside.
Place pine nuts in a small dry skillet and set pan over medium heat. Cook 3 minutes, until golden brown, shaking the pan frequently. Transfer nuts to a blender and add tomato sauce, sundried tomatoes, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon tomato mixture over four of the chicken breast halves. Bake chicken 25 to 30 minutes, until cooked through. Top the tomato-topped chicken with basil just before serving. Reserve remaining chicken for soup. Refrigerate remaining chicken up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or in the microwave on the defrost setting before using.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails