Saturday, June 19, 2010

Grilled Pizza

I've never had grilled pizza before. We had guests last night, and I suggested we give it a go. They had never heard of it before at all, and I'm not really sure how I even came across the idea. But boy, what an idea it is.

I did a lot of research on how to grill pizza, but in the end, just followed the directions on the package of pizza dough--yes, I was short on time and focused on getting the house in order for our guests, and chose to buy the dough at the grocery store rather than make it from scratch.

So, here's what I did:
Dust your dough lightly with flour, cut in half (for 1 personal pizza; about 6"). Stretch it into a circle, rub or brush olive oil onto one side of the dough. Preheat the grill to medium (following the directions here... the dough got seriously black following this method, but came out AWESOME on the next batch, which we cooked on low). Place the dough, oiled side down, on the grill grates, brush top with oil, and cook until bubbly like a ready to flip pancake.
Photobucket



Remove from grill, flip onto a plate (cooked side up, this becomes the part you top).

Photobucket


Make your pizza. I chose to top mine in the margherita style. Mmmm. I put a thin layer of marinara sauce, thinly sliced plum tomatoes, thinly sliced ball mozzarella, and fresh basil. Mmmm, it was perfect. The research I did warned that all toppings must be ready to go, since the dough cook so fast. So, if you're using meat, make sure it's cooked through BEFORE topping. You want everything chopped and ready to top when you get to the grill.
Photobucket



Now cook the newly oiled side until the cheese is melty.
Photobucket


I may now sell my pizza stone, because there's no way the pizza in the oven can compare to grilled pizza. REALLY, it's that good. (Since this is my first season grilling, I don't know how realistic it is to grill year round for us).

1 comment:

Lishie said...

I love the word melty! LOL
also the step-by-step

Related Posts with Thumbnails