Sunday, April 6, 2008

Tuesdays with Dorie--The Most Extraordinary French Lemon Cream Tart, continued


Baked crust

Here's the recipe for the crust, from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. I found the recipes here (dough) and here (lemon cream).

I had a hard time getting the lemon cream to 180 degrees, as did many of my fellow bakers. It got to around 160 after almost 15 minutes, was making tracks, so I stopped. I also didn't strain the cream--the zest was so tiny and the strainer was so thin, it wasn't worth my time.

As for the crust... I baked it this afternoon, and then started to make the lemon cream. I discovered I was one egg short--woops! I ran to the store, with instructions for my husband and the recipe's page clearly marked. He apparently didn't see the "remove foil" part, and then put in the oven for 8 more minutes, followed by 3 more minutes. When I returned, I took off the foil and baked for 5 minutes. It started to brown at that point, but hopefully it won't be too brown.

At this moment, the crust is cooling and the lemon cream is refrigerating. I can't wait to try my first DG recipe!

**Updated**

Ok, the crust was pretty hard and tough to cut. We attribute this to the slight overcooking by BAJ. I tasted the cream off the spoon and wasn't impressed, but it was very nice when combined with the crust. It was good, and BAJ even went back for a second slice (asking first, "Is this really bad for us?" but then going for it despite my description of it having more than 2 sticks of butter in the cream alone!), but I don't think it was worth the work... now, the chocolate cake thing on the cover of the book?? THAT might be worth the work...

Before slicing:

Before indulging (please ignore the paper plate...)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails