Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Penne with Sausage and Peppers



Found in Woman's Day Magazine

12 oz fresh sweet or hot Italian pork sausages, removed from casing I used sweet turkey/chicken sausage
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 bell peppers, thinly sliced I used 2 red peppers
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes with basil
1/2 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
1 lb penne pasta I used ziti

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a rapid boil.

2. Meanwhile cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 5 minutes or until browned, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon. Remove to a plate.

3. Add oil, peppers and onion to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Push vegetables aside, add garlic and sauté 1 minute until fragrant. Stir in sausage, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.

4. Meanwhile stir pasta into boiling water and cook as package directs.

5. Drain pasta, transfer to a large serving bowl, add sauce and toss to mix and coat.

Per serving: 547 cal, 20 g pro, 67 g car, 4 g fiber, 21 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 mg chol, 855 mg sod

I just found this online here, and the instructions ask for the veggies to be removed and the garlic cooked on its own. I just cooked the garlic in with the veggies to save some time and it came out great. The magazine claims that this is only $1.07/serving... WOW! Of course, it made a LOT of food. Even though I went back for thirds (nursing ROCKS), there was still enough left to freeze some and still have at least 2 lunch servings. This was really easy and fast, and I liked it a good deal. The Husband (hereafter referred to as BAJ) said it was ok... he must have liked it at some point since it was in my "keeper" recipe file, but I digress. Cheap and easy--that's what I'm talking about!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails