Thursday, September 2, 2010

Panzanella

Photobucket

I added this to the meal plan, only to realize we weren't going to be around for one of the days I planned for. When I had M decide which meal to delete, he wanted to get rid of Panzanella. I figured it would be a great lunch, so got the ingredients anyway.

I'm so glad I did, because last night had us running around late for dinner, AGAIN, and to make the planned meal would have had us eating after 7. This, instead takes about 10 minutes to put together, after all your chopping time.

It was very tasty, though I am glad I added some shredded mozzarella for some protein... in the future, I would use cubed mozzarella instead. Unfortunately, it wasn't super filling, and so I ate about half the bowl! I didn't have any Champagne vinegar, so instead used white wine vinegar with great results. I do wish I had made more of the vinaigrette, because it was a little bit too dry with what I ended up making. I also might add in some kalamata olives next time for some nice salty flavor.

Overall, a very tasty dish with lots of end of summer veggies that is super fast to make!

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 1 small French bread or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 large, ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/2-inch thick
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 1/2 red onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly sliced
  • 20 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons capers, drained

For the vinaigrette:

  • 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
  • 1/2 cup good olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Heat the oil in a large saute pan. Add the bread and salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Add more oil as needed.

For the vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients together.

In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, red onion, basil, and capers. Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails