Friday, September 17, 2010

Chicken Chile Verde

Photobucket

I got some tomatillos from our co-op, and was looking for a way to use them up. I knew I could have used them in a salsa, but didn't want to have to figure out a place to store them. So, I turned to google reader and this turned up. It was perfect; I had everything on hand, including a bunch of cilantro that also came from the co-op.

It calls for 5-6 small breasts, but our breasts were really large and used three. It probably wasn't enough for the amount of sauce it made. There was a TON of sauce, but I went ahead and saved it so I can just brown up some chicken and simmer it together.

Little Man ate a few pieces, but then decided he didn't like the chicken. M and I really liked it and will be adding it to the rotation (depending on if we can get tomatillos again... never having sought them out before, I don't know what their season is or how difficult they are to find).

I made a few changes, based on what I had: I used minced garlic and presliced jalapenos and just guesstimated on the right amounts. I served with Mexican Rice and a salad. Yummy meal!!

Chicken Chile Verde
  • 5 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 2 jalapenos, stem removed (and seeded if necessary to reduce the heat)
  • 10 tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed
  • 1/2 of a large white onion, quartered
  • 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, rinsed
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 5-6 small boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" cubes
  1. Place garlic, jalapenos, tomatillos, and onion in a large stock pot with just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil (see step 3) over medium heat, and cook, uncovered, for about 25 minutes.
  2. Add contents of the pot to a blender along with 1/2 cup water and cilantro. Puree until smooth, being careful to allow steam to escape while blending or you will end up with a newly decorated kitchen in a wonderful shade of green!
  3. When tomatillo mixture reaches a boil, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken until no longer pink, then drain skillet. Add pureed tomatillo mixture to skillet, then add salt, to taste. With the lid cracked, simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes. Serve with mexican rice and tortillas, garnished with lime for juicing.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails