Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Layered Chopped Salad

A friend of mine made this so I asked for the recipe. I don't know from which cookbook it came, but do know that it was a kosher one.

Dressing:
4 tablespoons mayo
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 (0.7 oz packets dried Italian seasoning)
Prepare the dressing at least 2 hours in advance. Mix the mayo, vinegar and Italian seasonings together. Cover and refrigerate. Wait to dress the salad with it until right before you serve.
Salad:
1 (16 oz) bag frozen peas (I omitted)
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained
3 cups (1 10 oz bag) shredded cabbage (I used about half of the bag)
1 head shredded lettuce (I used a bag of Romaine hearts)
1 red pepper, sliced
1 (11 oz) can corn nibblets, drained
1 bunch scallions, chopped (I omitted)
1 (10 oz) bag shredded carrots (4-5 medium carrots shredded)
3-4 cucumbers, peeled and sliced (I omitted)
3-4 roma tomatoes, sliced (or 2 cups grape tomatoes)
1 1/2 - 2 (15 oz) cans French fried onions
Place the peas in the bottom of the trifle bowl in an even layer. Carefully add even layers of chickpeas, cabbage (I go light on the cabbage b/c it takes up a lot of room in the bowl), lettuce, red pepper, corn, scallions, carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes. Before serving pour the dressing over the tomato layer and let seep down. Sprinkle with French fried onions.

This was a big hit--everyone commented that they didn't want to eat it because it looked so pretty. I think the recipe definitely calls for too much onions--I served it on the table for everyone to put on themselves. I also passed the dressing. This was a big hit, and it was good for leftovers too!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails