Found online at: http://www.recipezaar.com/200806
Italian Tuna Casserole
| Edit... My Notes
Requires Premium Membership My Notes
44 min 30 min prep
|1 (10||ounce) box frozen chopped spinach|
|1||lb shell pasta (medium or large, with ridges)|
|1||tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil|
|2||tablespoons butter, cut into pieces|
|1||medium onion, finely chopped|
|5||garlic cloves, minced|
|3||tablespoons all-purpose flour|
|1/2||cup dry white wine|
|1||cup chicken broth|
|1/4||teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg|
|1||teaspoon hot sauce|
|1||teaspoon Dijon mustard|
| ||black pepper|
|2 (6||ounce) cans white tuna in vegetable oil, drained I used 1 can of albacore and 1 can of tuna|
|1||cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese|
|2-3||tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley|
Not the one? See other Italian Tuna Casserole Recipes
- Place spinach on a plate and microwave it for 6 minutes on HIGH to defrost it; place it in a clean kitchen towel and wring it dry; set aside.
- While the spinach is defrosting, get a big pot of water on the stove; bring to a boil; then salt the water liberally and cook the shells to al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, heat a deep large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the olive oil, then melt the butter into the oil.
- When the butter melts, add in the onions and garlic; cook 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Sprinkle the flour around the pan and cook for a minute, then whisk in the wine—it will cook off and the mixture will thicken almost immediately.
- Whisk in the stock, then whisk in the milk and bring it to a bubble.
- Reduce heat slightly; season the sauce with nutmeg, hot sauce, and mustard; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer 2-3 minutes to thicken; then add in the spinach, separating it as you add it to the sauce.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Back to the sauce, add in the tuna, flaking it as you go; then stir to combine.
- Heat the spinach and tuna for a minute or so.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce.
- Transfer mixture to a casserole dish; cover it with the cheese.
- Place the casserole under the broiler for 2 minutes to brown the edges and the cheese.
- Top with parsley and serve.