Friday, May 13, 2011

Bruschetta Grilled Pizza


If you're one of the two people who reads this thing, you know how much I love mozzarella, tomato, and basil, and you also know that I've been playing around a lot with homemade pizza. When I saw that Stephanie Cooks had recreated Bruschetta Pizza from her favorite pizza place, I knew I'd have to try it too. I also decided that it should be done on the grill.

I'm not the best at reading for comprehension, I guess, and so added the pesto in with the tomato marinade. I'm not sure if it impacted the flavor or not, because it was still awesome, but it did save me a step--speed is imperative when making your pizza on the grill. Here's a refresher on how I make grilled pizza, and I used Perfect Pizza Dough from Annie's Eats, this time adding Italian seasoning and garlic powder to the dough.

As for the boys... Baby E devoured his. Like, shoving way too big pieces in a full mouth devoured. A took a teensy tiny bite and asked for something else (I'm sensing a trend, perhaps a power struggle round here?), and M liked it, but thought the red wine vinegar was a little too strong (I understood what he meant after a few bites when my tongue started tingling from the tang... I may have gone a little heavy handed with it, since I was at the very end of the bottle).

As for me, I loved this. It was one of those, "I'm not hungry anymore, but I can't stop eating this" kind of yummies. So I encourage you to give Stephanie's recipe a try!!

Bruschetta Pizza, very slightly adapted from Stephanie Cooks
Ingredients:
1 batch of pizza dough
1/4 cup pesto sauce
3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 tbsp. chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
Shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1- In a small bowl combine the tomatoes, red onion, garlic, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. Set the bowl in the fridge and allow it to marinade for at least an hour.
2- Preheat the grill on medium.
3- Stretch your dough into round or rectangle shapes; I used 1/4 of my dough for each pie. Brush one side with olive oil. Drain the bruschetta mixture of all oils and other juices. Take the dough, marinated bruschetta, and shredded cheese out to the grill. Lower the grill to low. Place each dough on the grill, oiled side down. Oil the other side of the dough. Cook until it starts to bubble (like ready to flip pancake). Flip each dough and MOVING VERY QUICKLY, top with bruschetta mixture and cheese (at this point, the cheese was having a hard time melting, so I turned the grill temp up to medium again. Just keep an eye on it). Cook until the cheese is melty and the bottom is cooked through.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails