Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Balsamic Portobello and Radicchio

I served with broccoli, and really wish I'd had some of the balsamic reduction to drizzle over it.  Yum!
When I saw this post on my friend Lishie's blog, I nearly started salivating.  She promised it was a decent substitute for steak (well, maybe she didn't promise... maybe my steak starved self extrapolated the promise) but completely meat free.

It also sounded delicious.  I made it tonight, and was a little surprised that this was meant as a main course.  See, the finished product didn't seem all that filling to me--a side dish or topping sure, but as a main?  So, I made some pasta to go along.

Upon his first taste, M exclaimed that the mushrooms were REALLY good.  His assessment was that pasta was not a good choice, but thought they would be really great over chicken.  I agree with his assessment, except for the pasta bit.  I thought it was quite tasty with the pasta.

The boys wouldn't eat anything but pasta.  Stinkers.

Here's the dish the way I made it... slightly different from Lishie's.  I did use chicken stock because that's what I had open, so it wasn't completely vegetarian, but that's a super easy substitution!

Balsamic Portobello and Radicchio slightly adapted from DeLish

  • 1/3lb your favorite shape pasta
  • 1T Extra virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
  • 4 Portobello Mushroom Caps, sliced
  • 1/2 Radicchio head, shredded
  • 1 TBSp Sugar
  • 3T thinly sliced fresh Basil
  • 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Chicken Stock

Cook pasta according to package directions.  Heat oil on medium-high heat. When it starts to shimmer, add garlic.  When it starts to sizzle, add the sliced portobello to the saute pan. Cook until the mushrooms are darker and cooked down (smaller), continuously mixing. Add the shredded radicchio & stir together with the mushrooms. Keep mixing & sauteing until the radicchio is wilted. Add the sugar & basil & stir/saute for another minute. Add in the balsamic vinegar & allow it to cook down (become half its amount & thicker). Then carefully add the stock & simmer for 5 more minutes.  Mix the cooked pasta into the pan so it's evenly coated with the sauce.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails