Thursday, May 19, 2011

Chicken and Mushrooms in a Garlic Wine Sauce

I've been feeling the effects on my body of two babies and not making the gym a priority.  In other words, the jelly belly has been bothering me.  So, I wandered over to "Skinny Taste" for some ideas and inspiration and found this meal.

Woohoo, success! My husband liked his meal, my sonS (!!) both cleared their plates, and I thought it tasty too.  It was a really easy meal to make and the results are almost worthy of company.  My husband thought something was missing, saying he thought it was something like a marsala but not quite.  The sauce is so completely different from marsala, I really didn't know what he was talking about, but I guess it's similar in the preparation and inclusion of mushrooms.  But I assure you, it's completely different.

As Gina suggested, I served this with Baked Rice and Peas.

Chicken and Mushrooms in a Garlic White Wine Sauce, very slightly adapted from Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
Servings: 4

  • 1 lb chicken breast, sliced into 1" strips
  • 2 tsp butter
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/8 cup all purpose flour
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 12 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1/3 cup fat free chicken broth
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Season chicken with salt and pepper. Toss the chicken pieces in a bowl of the flour.

Heat a large skillet on medium heat; when hot add 1 tsp butter and 1 tsp olive oil. Add chicken to the skillet and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side, or until chicken is no longer pink. Set aside.

Add additional oil and butter to the skillet, then garlic and cook a few seconds; add mushrooms, salt and pepper stirring occasionally until golden, about 5 minutes.

Add wine, chicken broth, parsley; stir the pan with a wooden spoon breaking up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook a few more minutes or until the liquid reduces by half. Top the chicken with the mushroom sauce and serve.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails