Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pasta Fagioli



When my very good friend Lishie had her baby shower in 2009, the favor was the very clever gift of a recipe and box of alphabet pasta.  I'm just finally getting around to making the recipe.

I made it on Thursday, to enjoy on Friday, which happened to be not only a Lenten Friday, so no meat, but also a snowy April Fool's Day in these parts.  A hearty bowl of soup was just the ticket.

Because it was a meatless day, I'm happy I followed the instructions to use a cup of water, but in the future, I will probably use chicken broth instead.  I also will probably use more pasta next time, or maybe a thicker pasta (though if making for kids, definitely go with alphabet!  Even though E is way too young to know the difference *I* think it's super cute!)  I didn't use canned beans, instead using dried garbanzo beans and soaking then cooking them.  To compensate, I used a can and a half of water instead of measuring out a cup.  Finally, I didn't have the recommended styles of diced tomatoes, but think I used one can of regular diced tomatoes, and two cans with basil and onion.

I didn't measure out the spice, but since I was making it for my baby as well as myself, gave it a few shakes.  It's perfect; there's a hint of spice to it, but nothing that would make me say "too much" or even, "that's spicy."  It's got a nice kick that way!

Alphabet Pasta Fagioli from DeLish!
1T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1c onion, coarsely chopped
14-1/2 ounces diced tomatoes, do not drain
14-1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with basil
14-1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with roasted onion and garlic
15 ounces garbanzo or navy beans, do not drain
1 c water
1/2t dried basil
1/4t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2t sea salt
1/3c Alphabet pasta
2T fresh basil, minced
1/8t freshly ground black pepper

Heat up the oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan until shimmering; add garlic and cook until it "speaks."  Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add and combine the tomatoes and beans, water, seasonings, and bring to a boil covered.  Cook for about 4 minutes, then add the pasta and reduce heat to medium.  Cook pasta uncovered for about 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked as you like.  Just before serving, add fresh basil and pepper.

1 comment:

Lishie said...

Glad you enjoyed it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails