Saturday, July 23, 2011

Strawberry, Orange, and Grilled Chicken Salad

When meal planning for this week, I went to my Google Reader and this recipe from Sarah came up in the feed.  It was so perfect, considering the heat has me looking for something light, and more importantly, I'm looking for meals that won't heat up the kitchen too much.

The only cooking this required was the chicken; I chose to cook it on the grill so the kitchen stayed cool and I did too, since I only went out to flip and check the chicken.

This was absolutely delicious.  So light, so refreshing, and moderately healthy.  My husband loved the vinaigrette. I had no pineapple in the house, otherwise I would have added it. It wasn't super filling, so I really wish I was good at accompanying dishes and could think of something to serve alongside it. 

Strawberry, Orange and Grilled Chicken Salad
Adapted from The Cookaholic Wife, via A Taste of Home Cooking

6 cups baby spinach leaves
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
2 cups strawberries, diced
1 cup mandarin oranges, chopped
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup gorgonzola, crumbled
Raspberry vinaigrette (recipe below)
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Add desired amount of dressing, toss well to coat. Season with pepper, to taste. Serve cold.

Raspberry Vinaigrette

1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon raspberry preserves
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Fresh tarragon, minced
Black pepper
1 shallot, minced
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Honey, to taste

Blend all the ingredients, except the sugar or honey, in a food processor, adding water as necessary to adjust the consistency. Add honey to taste at the very end.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails