Friday, July 22, 2011

Banana Blueberry Bread

Photobucket

I found this in my Betty Crocker cookbook, bridal edition, see it online
here.. I had three very overripe bananas, and decided we would make banana bread. Then I forgot about it. They were moved to the refrigerator for "later," so the fruit flies would go away. Later came, and they were beyond overripe and I was afraid they were gross. They smelled sort of sour. But I decided to go with it anyway.

The book in my recipe suggested to add blueberries as an option, and since I have a freezer full of them, I went with it. I didn't even have to defrost, but I don't recall the amount--I believe it was a cup. I added them when the original recipe suggested to add the nuts.

Despite the sour ick of the bananas, this came out great. It looked gorgeous when it came out of the oven, and it's really tasty. The Boy has asked for it for breakfast every morning since we made it.


Photobucket

1 1/4cups sugar
1/2cup butter or margarine, softened
2eggs I think the book says to use three...not sure.
1 1/2cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
1/2cup buttermilk I used 1/2 c plain fat free yogurt
1teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1teaspoon baking soda
1teaspoon salt
1cup chopped nuts, if desired Omitted









Print these coupons...
















About Concordance™





1.Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
2.Mix sugar and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into pans.
3.Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails