Thursday, July 7, 2011

Grilled Chicken Caprese

Have I told you how much I love the combination of mozzarella, basil, and tomato?  Five or twenty times, you say?  Oh.

Well, I do.  Nothing says summer like these flavors, which is why I so love having them in the winter too, even though the tomatoes aren't in season, because I just can't get enough, both of the combo and of summer.

I've tried several incarnations of this, most notable being Rachael Ray's version (It came from one of her early cookbooks, but check out that super awesome video!  It's not the same recipe, as an aside), which just never came out right.

This version from Cook's Country involves making a (delicious, I drizzled it over my salad) vinaigrette and marinating the cheese in it then dressing the cooked recipe in it in addition to grilling the tomatoes and chicken.

I really loved the addition of grilled tomatoes, though my husband wasn't a fan.   The three year old, well, dinner has been a struggle for us and him.  He refuses, hubby threatens taking away his tv time, and we all end up angry or upset.






I was out of foil, so attempted to "tent" using my Silpat mat.  It softened, but didn't melt the cheese.

Grilled Chicken Caprese Source:  Cook's Country August/September 2011

2T chopped fresh basil
1T red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
salt and pepper, to taste
3T olive oil
6 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4" slices, halved, and patted dry
1-1/2lb chicken cutlets, trimmed
2 tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2" slices

1.  Make your vinaigrette by combining basil, vinegar, garlic, 1/2t salt, and 1/4t pepper in a bowl.  Slowly add oil, whisking gently until completely mixed.  Combine 2T with mozzarella, and reserve the rest of the vinaigrette.
2.  Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper.  Grill chicken and tomatoes over medium heat, about 2 minutes per side, until chicken is browned and tomatoes have a light char.  Transfer chicken to a serving platter and top each cutlet with two tomato slices.  Drizzle with reserved vinaigrette, then top with an even layer of cheese.  Tent with foil and let rest until cheese is melty, about 5-10 minutes.



1 comment:

Lishie said...

I love the combo too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails