Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Peaches and cream crockpot oats


Making oatmeal in the crockpot has made mornings around here substantially less crazy.  The boys enjoy it and I know I'm giving my kids (and self) a hearty and healthful breakfast with little work on my part.  It takes a little bit more prep work than the little instant packets I had as a kid, but is surely much better for all of us than those were and less costly too.

The first time I made steel cut oats in the crockpot, I made a gigantic mess.  The cooked oats stuck to the crock and it required much elbow grease to clean the mess.  I've since discovered a much easier method:  place all ingredients in a bowl that will fit inside your crockpot, and fill the crock around that bowl with water.  Cook as directed.  If there's any mess, it's confined to the small bowl, but I've found it doesn't get stuck on the way it did that first time.

The original directions for this Peaches and Cream Oatmeal suggest using canned peaches; I used frozen since that's what I have on hand, but the flavor just wasn't there without the juice.  My boys didn't notice or mind, but I (of the instant preference) wasn't really nuts about this.  That's not to say I won't make them again, the boys enjoyed and I didn't mind enough to not eat them, but I will probably add some honey or sugar to my bowl in the future.  I'll share the original recipe for you to try either way!

Peaches and Cream Crockpot Oats Source:  Eat at Home
Ingredients
  • 1 cup steel cut oats
  • 1 can (15 oz) sliced peaches in light syrup
  • enough milk to bring liquid to 4 cups
  • dash salt
Instructions
  1. Spray inside of crock with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Put steel cut oats in crock.
  3. Drain can of peaches, reserving juice.
  4. Slice peaches in bite size pieces. Add to crock.
  5. Add milk to peach juice to make 4 cups. Pour into crock.
  6. Add dash of salt and stir to combine.
  7. Cook 3-4 hours on low. You can cook up to 7-8 hours, if needed.
  8. Serve with extra milk, if desired.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails