Friday, February 7, 2014

Weelicious Veggie Tortilla Wrap


You may have heard that lunchboxes are no longer what they used to be.  Moms across the internet (and surely Dads too, but they don't seem to have as much of an online presence) cut foods into cute shapes for their kids to eat (or, perhaps, turn up their noses at).

I don't do any of that.  I have been known to use a cookie cutter on a sandwich and also got the Cute-Z-Cute cutter  as a Christmas gift, but I try to keep the lunchboxes full of interesting foods and keep my fingers crossed they will like them.  Pinterest is a huge source of inspiration, but one of the mavens of the lunchbox world has recently published a cookbook, Weelicious Lunches:  Thinking Outside the Lunchbox, and I knew I had to give it a try.

I wish I'd packed one of these for myself, but I didn't quite have enough of the ingredients.  It was not a hit for the boys, though I will likely make it for them again in the hopes their tastes will change, but my husband and I both thought this might be one for US to try one day.  Unfortunately I didn't plan ahead and make the homemade hummus ahead of time, but it took so little time that it was really no big deal (even though I pack lunches after cooking dinner and just want to crash on the couch).  Since I made the hummus from scratch, though, I didn't get around to making the suggested veggie salad for the side.  Maybe next time I'll plan better, but the boys got a side of the hummus, pita chips, and grape tomatoes and baby carrots instead.

Weelicious Veggie Tortilla Wrap Source:  Weelicious Lunches:  Thinking Outside the Lunchbox
Ingredients 
*Makes 4 servings
  • ½ cup hummus
  • 4 whole-wheat tortillas
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
  • 1 avocado, sliced
Directions
1. Lay the tortilla flat on a work surface, and spread hummus along the inside.
2. Top each tortilla with 1/4 of the grated carrots, then 1/4 of the sliced avocados.
3. Roll everything up, cut into half, and lunchbox it.

I used this hummus recipe, from the Weelicious website, for this wrap.  

Ingredients

  • 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 2 tablespoons tahini (can be usually be found right next to the peanut butter at your local grocery)
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup olive oil

Preparation

  1. 1. Place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor and puree.
  2. 2. Add the olive oil and continue to puree until creamy.
  3. 3. Serve.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails