Friday, April 13, 2012

Mushroom Bolognese

Always on the quest for meatless Monday meals (and even more so during the Lenten season), when I saw this recipe on Christine's Kitchen Chronicles, I figured it would be an easy and big hit.

It may well have been a big hit had I made it as written, and I do intend to do that in the future.  As I made it, however, it was kinda a flop.  My first possible mistake was omitting the meat, and I think my second was using plain white mushrooms.  I think the biggest problem, however, was the kind of red wine I used, Beaujolais Nouveau.  I think its flavor was too distinct and strong and overwhelmed the flavor of the mushrooms.  When I make in the future, I think I'll try it with a Cabernet or Chianti.

Mushroom Bolognese Source:  Christine's Kitchen Chronicles

Ingredients

  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1 c. chopped onion
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 t. black pepper
  • 1/2 lb. lean ground beef (optional)
  • 5 c. finely chopped mushrooms
  • 1 t. minced garlic
  • 3 T. tomato paste
  • 1/2 c. dry red wine
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 t. Italian seasoning
  • 1 t. oregano
  • 1 lb. pasta
  • 1/4 c. pasta water
  • Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley or basil chiffonade
  • Few shakes of cracked red pepper (optional)
Directions
  1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add the onion, salt, pepper, and ground beef.  Cook for 10 minutes or until beef is browned.
  2. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.  Add in tomato paste, wine, and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 30 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  
  3. Meanwhile, make the pound of pasta according to package directions.  Reserve 1/4 c. pasta water.
  4. Stir in the oregano and Italian seasoning.  Stir in pasta water.  Spoon over hot pasta and sprinkle with cheese and parsley.
**This sauce can be frozen for up to 6 months.  Great for a make-ahead meal!**

Source: As seen on and adapted by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks from Cooking Light

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails