Sunday, April 15, 2012

Poverty Meal

In my home, it is difficult to make budget meals.  Typical budget meals include pasta and sauce or ground beef or beans or some combination of the three, and all these are on my husband's "do not prefer" or "will not eat" lists. 

So when I found this meal on Food.com, I figured it would be a good one to try.  It seemed really familiar, like something my mom made when I was a kid, inexpensive even with changing the ground beef for turkey, and delicious.

This wasn't a super success for us, and I think it has to do with the whole wheat pasta more than anything.  It was an off texture for me, and it could probably have cooked a little more; maybe next time I'll cook the pasta a little before tossing it in with the other ingredients, just to take out a little bit of the bite.  Or maybe it calls for regular pasta or a different shape.

Don't make the mistake I did though and avoid using a cast iron skillet!  The crud was so cooked on, I had to scrub the pan with salt for at least half an hour!

Directions:

  1. 1
    Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
  2. 2
    Brown ground beef and drain.
  3. 3
    Add ground beef, tomatoes, water, raw macaroni, salt and pepper to the onion and garlic mixture.
  4. 4
    Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
  5. 5
    If desired, top with Parmesan cheese.
  6. 6
    Serve with crusty bread and a salad.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails