Saturday, December 10, 2011

Creamy Shiitake Alfredo

Oh, my blog, I've missed you.  I'm sure I'll fall behind again, take pictures of every new thing I make, forget what I thought about them, and be back here again.  At any rate, let's catch up.

A few months ago, the guys at The Bitten Word ran a contest to win a subscription to Everyday Food.  By some stroke of changing luck, I won!  I love this little meal because it's... Everyday and I can even use it... every day.  Not fussy, easy meals, that don't take long to make, complete with beautiful food photography, and a design that, if I had time/interest in scrapbooking, I'd use as inspiration for my scrapbook pages.

This is one recipe I discovered in this magazine.  Of course, their food photography looks a million times better than mine, so see how it's supposed to look in a photograph here.

We really enjoyed this.  The boys weren't nuts about the mushrooms, but my husband and I really loved the flavor they brought.  According to the time stamp on the photo, we had this on October 29.  A while ago.  But I know we liked it.  The recipe states it take 50 minutes from start to finish, and I can't remember at all, but I do know that I made it on a weeknight, so perhaps it wasn't so very bad to do...


Creamy Shiitake Alfredo Everyday Food November 2011

Ingredients

  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 3/4 pound fusilli or other short twisted pasta
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 small shallots, thinly sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • Grated Parmesan, for serving

Directions

  1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until shallots are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 2 minutes. Add wine and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low, stir in cream, and cook until warmed (do not let boil). Season with salt and pepper. Add pasta to skillet, toss to combine, and top with Parmesan.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails