Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chicken Tamale Casserole

Sometimes, I just get a craving for Mexican food.  Sometimes, I have no idea what to make for dinner, and a recipe lands in my lap that solves that problem.  Sometimes, both happen and all is right with the world.

This recipe was that recipe.  I was able to use things I had in my pantry--the whole roast chicken I'd planned for one thing that didn't end up happening and so roasted (poorly) after trying to cut it into pieces, the cornbread mix I had around from something I'd planned that didn't end up happening-- as well as have enough leftovers to bring in for lunch club.  Total, and complete, score.

Of course, it's only made better because it was so very good.  The enchilada sauce I chose had some spicy in it, but mixing in sour cream satisfied my spicy hating son.  I got compliments from the ladies in lunch club, who got it as leftovers (I was nervous about how well it would reheat, but it was just as good, if not better, on day 2).


Chicken Tamale Casserole Cooking Light November 2008 via Myrecipes

  • 1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided
  • 1/3 cup fat-free milk 
  • 1/4 cup egg substitute 
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn 
  • (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix 
  • (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained 
  • Cooking spray 
  • (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce 
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast 
  • 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream 

Preparation

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
  2. 2. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
  3. 3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails