Monday, October 3, 2011

Chicken Caprese Sandwiches

I know I've mentioned before how much I love tomato, basil, and mozzarella.  I know I don't need to mention it again.  The last time I tried to make a chicken caprese sandwich, I followed the Rachael Ray recipe from one of her early cookbooks.  At the time, I really liked the recipe, but it was a tough one--the chicken always cooked all wrong--burning in parts and not being cooked in others.  So I pretty much gave up on the idea of a homemade chicken caprese.

Nevertheless, my husband suggested a chicken caprese sandwich for dinner one night, so I went to my friend "The Internet," and found this recipe on Our Family Treat.

Life has been absolutely crazy these days, between two kids, back to work, trying to get my head on straight to clean the house, and adding a new curriculum to teach, so I sometimes don't know which was is up.  This was one of those nights, and my husband ended up making dinner.  He said it was very easy to make.  Knowing my husband as I do, I am certain he followed the recipe exactly as written, although he also mentioned he went light on the rosemary because he doesn't like it.  I also know he pounded the chicken breasts thin, not only so that they cooked faster, but also so that they cooked more evenly.

We both LOVED this.  In fact, even our boys liked it.  Definitely make this one while tomatoes are still sort of in season.



Chicken Caprese Sandwich Source: Our Family Treat

Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese sliced
Fresh Roma tomatoes sliced
Pesto (See our Pesto recipe or you can buy it)
4-5 Ciabatta rolls or Kaiser rolls toasted
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp garlic salt

In a plastic bag marinate the chicken breasts in the olive oil and spices. Be sure to cover evenly.
On an oven safe grill pan, or skillet, grill the chicken on both sides till golden brown. Put into a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes until done (180 degree with a meat thermometer). Let stand for 5 minutes.

On the bread that has been toasted, spread a good layer of pesto on both sides. Slice the chicken on a bias very thin, and place on the roll. Top with the mozzarella and tomato. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails