Thursday, October 13, 2011

Apple Cheesecake Crumb Bars

I've taken on the role of morale builder upper person this year, which means I've taken on way more responsibility than I probably should have.  One of the jobs includes getting baked goods for birthdays and other celebrations, and I'm taking this as something to get me baking when I'm way too exhausted and would rather plop on the couch (I need goals and motivation to do even the things I love sometimes).

One of my colleagues got married recently, and she listed her favorite dessert as apple crumb cake and dessert, so when this recipe from The Naptime Chef came in my email literally the day before I was planning to make something for her, I knew I had a winner.

I had some real problems making the crust/topping for this recipe, since my 4 cup food processor just wasn't cutting it.  I got fed up and actually went out and bought another one once this was all made.  Other than that, though, this was a really easy, and oh my freaking God delicious recipe.

Since I brought it into work, some of my coworkers ate them with the vanilla ice cream in our work freezer; when we ate them at home, we did a drizzle of caramel on top of the still warm bars.  Heavenly!!


Apple Crumb Cheesecake Bars  Source:  The Naptime Chef

ingredients

Crust & Topping:
3cups all-purpose flour
1 ½cups light brown sugar
1cup quick-cooking oats
3sticks unsalted butter
1teaspoon Kosher salt
Filling:
114 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
8ounces cream cheese, softened
2teaspoons vanilla extract
2eggs
2tablespoons flour
4apples, peeled, cored and chopped
½teaspoon cinnamon
¼teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼teaspoon ground ginger
2tablespoons sugar

instructions

1.Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Pour the flour, sugar, oats and salt into a food processor and pulse until crumbs form. Add the butter in large chunks to the food processor until the mixture becomes pebbly and holds shape when pinched.
3. Press 2/3 of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 pan and bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden.
4. Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese until soft and pour in the milk until completely smooth. With the mixer on low add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then add the vanilla and flour. Set aside.
5. Toss the chopped apples with the cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and sugar and set aside.
6. Once the crust is cooled pour the cream cheese mixture evenly on top, followed by the chopped apples. Spread the remaining 1/3 of the crumb mixture on top and bake for about 35 minutes, or until the bars are set and the crumb is lightly golden. Allow to cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails