Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chicken Cheesesteaks

I've always had a particular vision of what is meant by "cheesesteak," however, once ordered a "cheesesteak sandwich" at a diner type restaurant only to be delivered a steak on a roll with some cheese on top.  IN THE TRISTATE AREA, I believe!  CRAZY!

Anyway, I do love me some cheesesteak.  As a kid, this meant Steak Um.  These days, I tend more toward the Philly style or a Buffalo chicken cheesesteak, which I first discovered at the Chegg while working long, late nights at FIAP.

So when I saw that Lauren had posted a recipe for Philly style chicken cheesesteaks, which would also help me to use up the leftovers of a roasted chicken AND extra I had made for some enchiladas, I knew it would be a great one.  We also had my parents coming over for dinner after some pumpkin picking, so it had to be fast and tasty.

When I served it initially, I took Lauren's advice to mix the Velveeta in with the chicken, but it just didn't give me the gooeyness I was looking for.  So, I went to the original recipe for today's lunch and achieved the gooeyness, but also some Cajun flavor.
Photobucket

This was pretty tasty, though the hubs didn't know exactly what I needed and came home with Portuguese rolls--not an awesome choice.  This was a great way to use up some of that extra chicken and fulfill a little cheesesteak craving (without resorting to SteakUms)












Photobucket 

Chicken Cheesesteaks Source:  La Cucina di Lauren
Ingredients
  • 2T olive oil
  • 1 pepper, sliced
  • 1/2-1 onion, sliced
  • 3-4 cups shredded chicken
  • 4oz low-fat Velveeta, cubed
  • 4 crusty rolls
Preheat broiler.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the peppers and onions and saute until tender.  Add the chicken and saute until warm.  Add the Velveeta and stir until almost completely melted and incorporated.

Divide the mixture among the rolls and heat under the broil to desired done-ness.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Bummer! I was really looking forward to trying them with the melty cheese mixture. Oh well. Thanks for being the guinea pig for my brilliant idea. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails