Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Angie's Dad's Best Cabbage Coleslaw

From allrecipes. From our co-op, I had a large cabbage, some onions, and some carrots taking up room in my fridge. With a birthday party coming, and needing room in my fridge, I decided to make a cole slaw. This one sounded delicious. I made it today, and tasted it right after making it. It tasted pretty good, but the true verdict will be how it tastes on Saturday!

I am not a cole slaw fan, in general. If it's there, I will try it, but I almost never really like it. This cole slaw, however, was so delicious. Our party guests even commented on it being delicious and wanted to know how I made it (which, of course, I couldn't remember at all). It was nice and tangy but also had that wonderful sweetness from the sugar. I will definitely be making this again, but in the future will use a much smaller cabbage because this made sooo much cole slaw.

As an aside, many of the allrecipes users mentioned that they used cole slaw mix to save time. I just went ahead and sliced my cabbage and it really didn't take that long. One of the guests suggested that it wouldn't taste the same if I had used one of those bagged mixes, so I will probably use a regular cabbage again in the future. I followed the directions here with very good results.



Ingredients

  • 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
  • 1 large red onion, diced I used a white onion
  • 1 cup grated carrots
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
  • black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onion, carrots, and celery. Sprinkle with 1 cup sugar, and mix well. In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, dry mustard, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Pour hot dressing over cabbage mixture, and mix well.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails