Friday, March 5, 2010

Maple Glazed Ham Steak

I've made and blogged about this one before.

This time, I made my own Dijon mustard, which I found on the Taste of Home community board. I've done this a few times, with good success:
Dijon Mustard

1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar -- (or 1/2 white wine, 1/2 white vinegar
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
pinch sugar

Mix all ingredients.
Yield: "2 tablespoons"

This time, however, I goofed and used 1T of water. Oops. I didn't want to just throw it away, so I went ahead with it. I then used the entire product in my ham steak glaze. Otherwise, I made it the same way:

1/4c brown sugar
1/4c maple syrup
1T Dijon mustard

Heat to boiling in a medium saucepan. Simmer for a few minutes to reduce. Brush this over one side of a ham steak. Broil ham steak four minutes, turn over, brush again, and place pineapple slices over the ham. Broil four more minutes.

Instead of pineapple slices, though, I used crushed pineapple because that's what I had. It worked great, although maybe the presentation wasn't as pretty. Again, A ate it, which is a relief since I'm really getting sick and tired of making him his own meals.

I never know what to do when a recipe says to "preheat the broiler," because my oven has a hi and lo setting for this. This time, I used it on low, but put the ham on the middle rack. This was not enough, so I turned it up to hi AND raised the ham closer... too much. Probably in this case, low and 4" from the broiler would have been good.

I served with twice baked potatoes and corn.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails