Saturday, October 9, 2010

Crockpot Barbecue Chicken and Cornbread Casserole

I've been working my way through a few of the recipes in Make it Fast, Cook it Slow.  We haven't really liked too many of the recipes we've made so far, and tonight was the final chance for me.

This was good.  I can't say it was really good because I wasn't in love with it, but think it would have been better with a different choice of bbq sauce.  I thought I had bbq sauce in the basement, but didn't.  I had three different bottles in the fridge, so I went ahead and mixed them together; the bulk of the sauce was a tropical bbq.  It probably would have been better with a smokey type of BBQ sauce.

The cornbread was pretty good, though we both said we prefer a sweeter one like you get at a restaurant.

So, we didn't love this, but think it's worth giving another try with one type of BBQ sauce!

Posted originally here.  Her photos came out much nicer than mine!

--1 pound of cooked, or practically cooked chicken, cubed or shredded I used my leftovers from this
--1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut in 1-inch chunks (optional.)
--1 red onion, diced (optional.)  I used white onion
--1 cup frozen or fresh corn  I used canned
--1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (18 oz)
--1/4 cup hot water

cornbread topping:

use a mix and follow the directions on the box (minus the oil or butter), or mix together the following:

--3/4 cup corn meal
--1 1/4 cups of flour
--1 cup milk
--1/4 cup sugar
--1 egg
--1 tsp baking powder (only if using regular all-purpose flour)

The Directions.

I used a 4 qt round crockpot for this---it was the perfect size.

Spray the inside of your stoneware with cooking spray. Cut up the chicken and sweet potato, and add to the crock. Add the corn. Empty the contents of the barbecue sauce bottle, and then add 1/4 cup of hot water to the bottle, shake, and pour that out, too. Mix well with a spoon.

In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread topping. You don't need to mix well, I just used a fork. Spread the topping on to the chicken mixture.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Ours cooked on low for exactly 6. If you are planning on being out of the house, cook for the shorter amount of time. You can always switch to high to brown the top when you get home.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails