Sunday, July 21, 2013

Oven Baked Tomatoes

As I mentioned, I had an abundance of delicious tomatoes that I was using to make baked fried tomatoes, and wanted to attempt a "Battle Royale" Fried tomato.  Here's the second version I made after the first, which I posted yesterday.


These were not my favorite way to make fried tomatoes. I think I'm used to a breadcrumb variety, so when I encounter the (decidedly more Southern!) cornmeal variety, I'm not satisfied.  I found these to be a bit bland, so added some salt and pepper and Italian spices to the coating in the second batch with improved results.  Definite add some of your favorite spices too; it will amp up that flavor for you!

Oven Baked Fried Tomatoes Source:  What's Cookin Chicago
Ingredients:
3 beefsteak tomatoes
1 egg, whisked
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 C. panko
1/4 C. fine corn meal
1/4 C.  all purpose flour
2 t. kosher salt
1 t. fresh ground pepper
canola oil
1.  Preheat oven to 450.  Remove the tomato core and slice into 3/8" slices.
2.  Prepare your dredging station by adding egg to one shallow dish, buttermilk to another, and the combined panko and corn meal to a final dish.  Dredge each tomato slice by dipping first in the egg, then the buttermilk, and then the breading, pressing to adhere.  Set aside.
3.  Drizzle 2-3T canola oil on an ovenproof skillet (I used cast iron, which adds a great flavor; highly recommend!) and heat till oil is shimmering.
4.  Moving quickly, sear each side (about 1-2 minutes).  Transfer your skillet to the oven for 10 minutes.  Serve hot!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails