Saturday, May 19, 2012

Pierogie Bake




When I made this last, I said it would be really good with some steamed broccoli.  This time, I did exactly that, and it was delicious.  Even my husband commented that the broccoli was a really nice addition. 

I would have added bacon, but it's in the freezer and I forgot to defrost it, so a slightly vegetarian meal (I did use chicken broth, so not completely).  I also doubled it, which made enough for all of us and some leftovers for a yummy lunch.

Broccoli Pierogie Bake Source: Slightly adapted fromStephanie Cooks, who Slightly adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients:
1 (16 oz) package frozen pierogies
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1t extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup thin sliced green onions
1 small plum tomato, seeded, and diced  (I used an handful of grape tomatoes, which I diced)
Pepper
Cooking spray

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 400
2- Steam broccoli until tender.
3- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the frozen pierogies in the dish.
4- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
5- Add garlic to the pan, cook for 30 seconds. Add the cream cheese, stirring until it melts. Add the broth, whisking continuously until it's all incorporated.
6- Pour the sauce mixture over the pierogies. Top with the cheddar cheese.
7- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, top with the tomatoes and bacon, and return it to the oven. Bake for 5 additional minutes.
8- Remove from the oven sprinkle with green onions and black pepper. Serve hot.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails