It looked so pretty when it came out of the oven.
and was really delicious too. The Dijon mustard was a really interesting twist, and it was cheesey and gooey and so yum. So easy to put it together, and so tasty too!
Bacon and Cheese Strata Source: Delish.com
- 6 slice(s) bacon
- 2 tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 12 slice(s) firm white bread
- 6 ounce(s) Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 9 large eggs
- 3 cup(s) whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper
- Lay strips of bacon on a foil lined baking sheet so that they don't overlap. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 375 degrees. Let cool and coarsely crumble bacon.
- Meanwhile, grease 13" by 9" ceramic or glass baking dish.
- Spread mustard on 1 side of each bread slice. Arrange 6 bread slices, mustard side up, in bottom of baking dish, cutting slices to fit if necessary. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with all but 2 tablespoons crumbled bacon, then remaining bread slices, mustard side up.
- In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until blended. Slowly pour egg mixture over bread slices; press bread down to help it absorb egg mixture. If necessary, spoon egg mixture over any uncoated bread. Top with remaining cheese and bacon. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes or cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake strata 40 minutes or until puffed and golden and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.