Sunday, November 6, 2011

Chicken and Rice with Broccoli and Cheddar

I love Cook's Illustrated.  In almost every single case, I've found their work to be incredibly perfect and that while sometimes time consuming, their recipes are not too difficult for my not super skill in the kitchen.  So, when I heard they had a new cookbook, The Best 30 Minute Recipe, I knew I had to check it out.

Everything I've made so far has been perfect.  Chicken and Rice with Broccoli and Cheddar (page 108) was the first I made, I believe, and it was so excellent and FAST.  Yes, the recipes actually do take 30 minutes.  They give handy little tips so that it actually happens in the home kitchen!

I did have some trouble with the rice, as I often do.  I used long grain brown rice, and followed the directions CI gives, but it took way longer than directed to get it cooked all the way.  I'm wondering how much of that is me and how much of it is something else.






Chicken and Rice with Broccoli and Cheddar Source:  The Best 30 Minute Recipe Cook's Illustrated, via Heat Oven to 350

Skillet Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli



4boneless, skinless chicken breasts (6 ounces each)

salt and freshly ground black pepper
3tablespoons vegetable oil
1onion, minced
cups instant white rice
3garlic cloves, minced
cups low sodium chicken broth
110oz pkg frozen broccoli florets, thawed

(or one large head of broccoli, washed and cut into florets)
1cup shredded cheddar cheese
1teaspoon tabasco


1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown chicken well on one side, about 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.

2. Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet, and return to med high heat till shimmering. Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt and cook uintil softened. 5 minutes. Stir in rice and garlic and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds.

3. Stir in broth, scraping up any browned bits. nestle chicken into rice browned side up. Cover and cook over medium low heat until liquid is absorbed and thickest part of chicken registers 160, about 10 minutes.

4. Transfer chicken to clean plate. Off heat gently fold broccoli, ½ cup cheddar, and tabasco into rice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle remaining ½ cup cheddar over top, cover, and let sit till cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Serve with chicken.

Yield: Four servings

Recipe Source: Cook's Illustrated Best 30-Minute Meals



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the problem you're running into is that brown rice takes much longer to cook than white rice as a rule, and I think this recipe originally calls for instant white rice. I've run into this problem when substituting brown for white rice too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails