Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cranberry Mini Muffins

I've had a silicone mini muffin pan for a long time, and just never got around to using it. First, I was afraid that it wasn't exactly...safe. Ye ole internet turned up no real answers. Recently, I've been thinking about making some muffins up, but had a tough time finding a mini specific recipe. So, I again googled how to modify to mini muffins... and had some trouble. However I changed my search terms, I had success this time around. So, I made a recipe I found on allrecipes.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil Substituted 1/4c applesauce

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). I baked at 350 for minis
  2. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup, beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk and oil. Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat. The batter will be lumpy. Pour the batter into paper lined muffin pan cups.
  3. Variations: Blueberry Muffins: Add 1 cup fresh blueberries. Raisin Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped raisins. Date Muffins: Add 1 cup finely chopped dates. Cheese Muffins: Fold in 1 cup grated sharp yellow cheese. Bacon Muffins: Fold 1/4 cup crisp cooked bacon, broken into bits.
  4. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden. I checked first at 10 minutes, but they took about 15 in all.
I had some raisins, and I had some Craisins. I went with the Craisins. I put them in the food processor, but that didn't get them super fine, but it was just fine here.

This was not a bad recipe per se, and I (and The Boy) can't stop snacking on them, but there's something missing from them. I wonder what whole wheat flour would do, or maybe substituting brown sugar for some of the white. In reading some of the reviews on allrecipes, others suggested using a diced apple with some vanilla and cinnamon; that sounds delicious!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails